2007年5月27日星期日

Antibiotic also induces another transformation pathway

My experiment shows that antibiotic can induce the cryptic transformation. Importantly, transformation was not completely dependent on antibiotic because even antibiotic was abscent, still a few transformants were observed. This indicate the the ability of transformation is inherent and antibiotic just induce (not trigger) transformation. The addition of antibiotic can induce transformation in the rec-2 mutant about 20-fold. I was shocked. A paper published in Science reported that antibiotic can induce natural transformation in S. pneumonia. My data indicate that antibiotic can also induce the non-traditional transformation as well. Still, I do not know how antibiotic induce this cryptic transformation since we know little about it. This is a completely new area waiting for further investigation and the implication of this study is immense (read my post yesterday).

没有评论: